MurMaid Mattress is a local, full-service mattress retail chain that is a multi-brand dealer of national brand mattresses, as well as our own brand made by us and sold directly to the consumer.
Murmaid Mattress Corporation is a home furnishings company dedicated to growth through the application of principle-centered leadership.
- We are committed to meeting the needs of our customers with quality products and prompt, courteous service.
- We recognize the importance of each individual and his or her active role in the success of the entire company.
- We require superior financial performance to protect our employees’ jobs and the future of our company.
- We desire supplier relations where the exchange of ideas and technology produces greater value for the consumer.
- We practice a policy of corporate tithing, including people, time and financial resources to be reinvested in the communities we serve.
- We believe in the free enterprise system, the family unit and the sovereignty of the teachings of the holy scriptures.
MurMaid was founded in 1979 by my parents Elmer and Joy Murray at 7177 Lee Hwy in Chattanooga. Our name is actually derived from my step-father’s last name Murray, as in “made by Murray,” Murray Made, or MurMaid. We currently operate 12 locations in Chattanooga, Hixson, Red Bank, Cleveland and Ft. Oglethorpe and Dalton Georgia. We currently employ 45 full-time employees.
We are very fortunate in that about half of our current employees have been with us for 10 years or more and 16 employees have been with us 15 years or more. One factory worker has actually been with us for 26 years. This is good both internally and externally from our customer’s standpoint as well. I am proud of the fact that our core group of employees feel secure in their jobs as that resonates well with our clientele that we are a good place to work and do business with.
As you can see, our Mission Statement is our guide as a way of doing business in addressing the way we treat our customers, employees, suppliers and the communities we serve. I believe that it is important to give back to those communities, especially through donating to organizations and individuals with the products that we sell. We regularly get calls from individuals, churches or other organizations that have friends, members or clients that are in need of the products that we carry, and whenever possible we will try to meet those needs.
I personally try to be involved in our community as well. I have in the past served in my church’s youth department as a youth Sunday school teacher, I continue to volunteer at our First Baptist Church of Cleveland’s Camp Cherokee summer camp as a counselor and boat driver for students, and assist in taking up offerings in our church’s Sunday services and participate in distributing the elements in the Lord’s Supper services. I currently serve as the Bradley/Cleveland Chamber of Commerce’s Chairman of the Board of Directors. I am on advisory committees for People for Care and Learning and United Way’s Center for Social Impact in Cleveland. I received the 2014 Bradley/ Cleveland Chamber’s Mel Bedwell Small Business Person of the Year Award and MurMaid received the 2015 BBB Torch Award for Market Place Ethics.